Electrochemical Corrosion Testing Services
ELECTROCHEMICAL CORROSION TESTING TO ASSESS CORROSION SUSCEPTABILITY
IMR's electrochemical corrosion lab in Ithaca, NY performs testing on candidate materials, passivation effects, and galvanic corrosion on bi-metal combinations, primarily in the medical device industry. For service environments where standard pass/fail exposure testing is insufficient, electrochemical corrosion testing offers a more advanced analysis.
Testing is performed through a controlled electrochemical reaction between two materials, or between an exposed surface and its surrounding environment. The introduction of a voltage current to the testing setup rapidly accelerates the effect of the test solution on the material. Therefore, targeted electrolyte solutions can be used to simulate long-term conditions and predict and characterize the corrosive properties of metal materials and components.
APPLICATIONS FOR ELECTROCHEMICAL TESTING
- Analysis of finished medical devices for pitting and crevice corrosion susceptibility
- Comparison of raw materials (screening) for corrosion characteristics
- Evaluating effects of passivation or surface modifications on corrosive behavior
- Evaluating/comparing processing effects on corrosion properties
- Evaluating bimetal combinations for galvanic corrosion behavior
ELECTROCHEMICAL CORROSION TESTING METHODS
- Cyclic Potentiodynamic Polarization Measurements (ASTM F2129)
- Cyclic Potentiodynamic Polarization
- Corrosion Susceptibility of Iron, Nickel, Cobalt Alloys (G61)
- Galvanic Corrosion (ASTM G71)
- Galvanic Corrosion of Medical Implants (F3044)
- Linear Polarization Resistance (ASTM G59)
If you're interested in exploring IMR's corrosion testing capabilities, click here to request a quote, or click on the button below..
Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
Environmental Stress Cracking (ESC)
Formicary (Ant’s Nest) Corrosion Evaluation
Heat & Fluid Aging
Mercurous Nitrate Testing
Passivation Testing of Medical Components
Residual and Assembly Stress Testing of Copper Alloys
Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC)
ASTM TESTING METHODS
Click here for a complete list of accreditations and certifications for all IMR Test Labs locations.