Weld Testing Laboratory
Weld Testing and welder certification verify that specified welding procedures will create welds that are suitably strong and satisfy quality standards and/or code requirements. The purpose of the qualification is to demonstrate and document that a joining method (or methods) can satisfy all of the design requirements of the finished product.
IMR has AWS CWIs on staff at all of our US locations, as well as trained and knowledgeable experts at our labs in Asia. Whether you need an analysis of your raw materials, such as solder wire, or a full weld qualification package, we can get you the answers you need.
Weld Testing Laboratory Documents
- Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) Summarizes all of the welding variables and materials used for many welds
- Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) Documents the testing that was performed to qualify a particular procedure within the WPS
- Welder Performance Record (WPR) Documents the results of and individual welder or operator to a WPS
Weld Testing Laboratory-Accredited Weld Qualification
ABS Rules for Welding Part 2
AMS STD 1595
API RP 582
API Std. 1104
ASME Section IX
CAAS SAR Chapter 6.5 Appendix 1
City of Portland Weld Inspections
GE Weld Qualification
WABO Welder Qualifications
Weld Testing Laboratory-Methods Analyzed
- Laser Beam Welding (LBW)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW/MIG)
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW/TIG)
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Friction Welding (FRW)
- Friction Stir Welding (FSW)
- Flash Welding (FW)
- Resistance Spot Welding (RSW)
- Plasma Arc Welding (PAW)
- Electron Beam Welding (EBW)
- Resistance Seam Welding (RSEW)
- Brazing Evaluations
- Stud Welding
Weld Testing Lab FAQ's
How long does a weld test take?
Turnaround times can vary due to lab test volume, but simple certification tests can often be completed in 2 days. More thorough inspections for certifications can take longer.
What materials are tested in a weld test?
Weld tests can analyze welding materials, including solder wire, solder ribbon, and solder flux.
What are the qualifications of a weld test?
There are over 30 qualifications of a weld test including: ABS Rules for Welding Part 2, AMS STD 1595, API RP 582, API Std. 1104, ASME Section IX, AWS C1.1, AWS C1.4, AWS C7.3, AWS C7.4, AWS D1.1/D1.1M, AWS D1.2/D1.2M, AWS D1.3, AWS D1.4, AWS D1.5/D1.5M, AWS D1.6, AWS D1.7, AWS D17.1/D17.1M, CAAS SAR Chapter 6.5 Appendix 1, CGA-3, City of Portland Weld Inspections, EN 25817, EN 287, GE Weld Qualification, ISO 5817, ISO 15614-1, ISO 13919-1, ISO 15614-11, NAVSEA S9074-AQ-G1B-010/248, SAE AMS-W-6858A, WABO Welder Qualifications
What weld testing documents can IMR certify?
Welding Procedure Specification (WPS), Procedure Qualification Record (PQR), Welder Performance Record (WPR) are the documents of weld testing.